Note: To edit a page on the GCcollab Wiki you must be logged in.
- To add or modify content to a page, click Edit at the top of the page.
- The toolbar at the top provides basic text editing functions. Simply click on the content in the page that you wish to edit and start typing!
- Alternatively, you can mark up the document yourself using the formatting explained in the wiki formatting cheat sheet.
While many of the tools are self-explanatory (e.g., bold and italics), others require some explanation:
- Strikethrough: puts a line through text. This is normally done in "talk" pages if you wish to retract a comment that you made earlier. Strikethrough is not normally used in articles.
- Ignore wiki formatting: used when you want to show wiki commands without having the codes to be operational. The help sections often use this command in order to show how to enter codes.
- Signature and timestamp: used to sign your name and put the date on "talk" pages. Articles are never signed because wiki articles are deemed to be collectively authored.
- Insert hidden comment: used to add comments or notes to an article. These notes will only be seen by editors who are editing the article. They will not be visible to general readers.
To view what you have edited before saving, you can click on the <show preview> button at the bottom of the screen and, if satisfied, save the page. Pressing this will show you what the article will look like without actually saving it.
This allows you to check what the page will look like first and to check that you haven't made any errors and prevents the need for multiple saves. Saving the same article a large number of times in quick succession makes it harder for people to check what changed, and clogs up the page history.
Saving after Editing
Once you are satisfied with what has been edited and/or previewed, you can:
- Go to the Edit Summary and summarize what has been done to the document in the Summary window below the editing screen
- Check the This is a minor edit box below the summary window and then
- Press the Save Page button
- To cancel, just click the Cancel link and none of your changes will be saved